How can I talk with and support my child about Coronavirus?
List of Resources from Town of Windsor Social Services Department
Click link to view a wide variety of resources available to help with housing, food assistance, energy, employment, mental health services and more. Town of Windsor Resources COVID19
The State of Connecticut has launched the Talk it Out Line 1-833-258-5011, to help parents and caregivers cope with the stress and increased needs resulting from caring for their children during the COVID-19 pandemic. Watch the PSA Here.
Communications from Windsor Public School
- School Closure for Remainder of 2019-2020 5.5.20
- Distance Learning Update 4.17.20
- Grab-N-Go Meals Update 4.17.20
- School Closure Announcement 4.9.20
- Important Update - Letter to Windsor Families 4.1.20
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- PSES Letter to Families 3.24.20
- Distance Learning Update 3.24.20
- Updates to School Calendar 2019-2020
- Important Update - Letter to Windsor Families 3.17.20
- Coronavirus Update Letter to Windsor Families 3.16.20
- Update on Coronavirus Preparations 3.10.20
- Coronavirus Letter to Families 3.3.20
WINDSOR, CONN., May 15, 2020 – On Thursday, May 21, the Windsor Food & Fuel Bank (WFFB) will resume accepting donations of food from the public but only during specific time periods and people must call in advance to schedule their drop offs. Beginning on Thursday, May 21, the community food bank will receive donations of food upon appointment on Tuesday mornings from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and on Thursday afternoons from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at its location at L.P. Wilson Community Center at 599 Matianuck Ave. in Windsor, Conn. To schedule a time to bring nonperishable food to the food bank, as well as gift cards to local stores and gas stations, and toiletries, call 860-285-1839.
The Windsor Public Library and Wilson Branch are closed until further notice in response to the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. Items previously borrowed from the library may be returned in the book drops.
We thank you for your patience during this difficult time. Stay safe and healthy.
Foodshare Drive-Thru at Rentschler Field - Now Extended through end of May
Now in its third week distributing food to the community through a drive-thru distribution model, Foodshare has decided to extend its operation at Rentschler Field in East Hartford until the end of May. As the lines continue to grow, on average Foodshare provides food to approximately 1200 households per day.
“With no decline in attendance, we have made the decision to keep our emergency food distribution running through the month of May,” said Jason Jakubowski, President and CEO of Foodshare. “The financial support from our corporate and community partners plus an incredible group of volunteers is what is allowing us to continue this work. We also remain grateful to Governor Lamont, Lieutenant Governor Bysiewicz and the Capital Region Development Authority for allowing us to continue to use Rentschler Field.”
Based on a recent survey, Foodshare estimates that approximately 70% of those served at the drive-thru food distribution are new to food insecurity. Jakubowski said “Our goal is to keep this operation running throughout the duration of this crisis.”
Foodshare’s Drive-thru Distribution· Distribution dates:
- OPEN WEEKDAYS Monday, May 11 through Friday, May 29;
- CLOSED on Memorial Day, May 25;
- Distribution times: 8:30 am – 12:00 noon;
- Distribution address: 615 Silver Lane, East Hartford, CT 06118 – Silver Lane entrance; gates will close at Noon
- One allocation of food per car to ensure that we have enough food for everyone.
Other resources for those unable to drive to East Hartford:
- Foodshare continues to operate Mobile Foodshare on weekdays throughout the region. Text “FOODSHARE” to 85511 or go to www.foodshare.org/mobile to find a site near you.
- To find a food pantry and other resources near you, call 2-1-1 or go to https://www.211ct.org/.
Windsor Hunger Action Team Important Updates:
Mobile Foodshare is still operating.Please encourage people to sign up for the Mobile Texting tool, which will send the schedule to one’s cell phone along with any changes.
- Text FOODSHARE to 85511, respond with the first 3 letters of the town, and then the month.
- If you are a service provider that is currently listed on 2-1-1, please ensure the information is correct and make any changes necessary.
Link to easy instructions on how to make an update (online, email or by phone).
- Link to up-to-date information regarding COVID-19 responses from Foodshare.
- Link to low cost internet options.
Community Network Builder
450 Woodland Ave, Bloomfield, CT 06002
Many communities across the country, and the world, are tasked with navigating a new "normal" as social distancing has lead to school closures and a significant rise in distance learning. The TransACT Community Engagement Team has added resources and articles from other organizations to this newsletter for the benefit of our subscribers during this unprecedented situation.
Guidance from the Department of Education is posted at: ed.gov/coronavirus
What You Need To Know About Coronavirus Disease 2019