Menu

Windsor's First School

 

According to The History of Ancient Windsor, Connecticut: Including East Windsor, South Windsor and Ellington by Henry Reed Stiles, the first school in Windsor was established in 1657 and Mr. John Branker was voted as the schoolmaster. The Code of 1650, penned by Roger Ludlow, declared that all children must attend school in order to learn to read and write, have knowledge of laws and the penalty for neglect of law, and that parents ensure their children become employable with trade or craft.  John Fitch bequeathed his estate after his death in 1676, that both “land and goods” be utilized to promote schools in Windsor.